Saturday, August 18, 2012

Taking the #BlogElul Challenge

One of the ironies of working professionally in a congregation is that often times that should be the most meaningful (like the High Holy Days) are eclipsed by logistics, programming, and working to ensure that others have a meaningful experience. This is usually the case for me as I simultaneously prepare for the opening of the school year and running HHD experiences for 300+ children and teens. I am somewhat surprised when I find myself sitting in Rosh Hashanah services and not feeling ready.

That's the purpose of Elul - to get ready for the High Holy Days. It is much easier to do deep-introspection on one's self for the duration of a HHD service (3 hours MAX) than it is to reflect for a whole month. To critically look in the mirror and see where you missed the mark, whether intentionally or not, is tough work. But it is important work.

This year Rabbi Siegal, one of my colleagues, is including in her Elul preparation the Food Stamp Challenge - shining a spotlight on the issue of hunger in our country and the inequity that exists between social classes. I've decided to take the #BlogElul challenge.

I see this as a way to begin personally working on Temple Judea's study theme of Mindfulness. I rarely take the time to stop, to focus on myself, to quiet my mind, and to be present. In fact, I hate stillness and silence. As I write this it is weird that the television isn't on. The radio is always on in my car - even if I hate the song. I fall asleep whirring about events of the day and wake up with a to-do list already in mind.

So this is my challenge to myself - to spend a part of each day in the month of Elul thinking about the year that has passed and preparing for the year ahead. Tomorrow's topic...return. Better start thinking about what I am going to write...


No comments:

Post a Comment