Wednesday, August 29, 2012

In the Image of #BlogElul 12

If you haven't noticed from some earlier posts, I can tend to be a bit self-critical. So the first thing I thought of for today's topic of image was self-image...and that quickly turned to diet routine, exercise, and my many failings in both of those categories.

My second connection was to the Hebrew word for image - tzelem. This word is noticeably used in the Bible in Genesis where it describes that humans are created b'tzelem Elohim, in the image of God. This quote (not to mention the Dan Nichols song) are often used as the basis for teaching acceptance and tolerance. After all, if we are all created in God's image, then there is something Godly in each of us and we need to respect that in one another.

I often find it more of a challenge to see the Godliness in myself.

Elul, and the High Holy Day season, is an opportunity to attune ourselves to the Godliness in others. And while we are taking stock of our actions in the past year, it is important to also remember the Godliness in ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment