Friday, August 31, 2012

I would have done this sooner but something important came up #BlogElul 13

One of the most important things I learned in graduate school wasn't part of the formal curriculum. We had an intensive workshop for most of the morning and one of my classmates came late (or left early, I don't remember which). After she explained to the professor why she was not participating in all of the session he responded with an exceptionally keen observation.
Once you offer an excuse, you open yourself to being judged on whether that was a good enough excuse or not. Don't explain, just apologize for being late (or leaving early.)
I have found this to be great advice - and I often think about it when I am the one receiving the excuse. At a time when we are working to repair and strengthen relationships, don't let excuses get in the way!



No comments:

Post a Comment