Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A "Virtual" Kol Nidrei




The observance of Yom Kippur began today at sundown. This day is referred to as the Shabbat of all Shabbats - it is the holiest day of the Jewish calendar. Perhaps the most identifiable soundtrack of this day is Kol Nidrei - a solemn prayer annulling vows that we have made and will make. It reminds us of the many times we missed the mark. And the many times we will miss the mark again.

Tonight I did something I have never done before...I didn't go to the synagogue. But I was able to still "be" at services. Over a year ago Temple Judea began live streaming all of our worship services. I wanted to be in the congregation, but tonight I couldn't. I was emotionally raw from an intense ten day period of reflection on all that was in the last year. I wanted time to be alone. To just be.

So I attended services through our website...and it was amazing.

1) The music - since I was by myself I turned my speakers as high as they could go. I closed my eyes. I felt the music. I wasn't worried about what anyone else thought. I was able to just experience this amazing sound. I allowed tears to form and didn't care. I cheered when an all-time favorite tune was played. I appreciated the musical gifts that were brought to this service in a way I never had before.

2) The sermon - again, I was by myself. The only person on the screen was the rabbi. I was able to feel like he was addressing me personally, not the entire congregation. I felt that a message was being given directly to me. And so I listened closer. And I listened deeper.

3) The temperature - it may seem silly, but I know how many comments our executive director receives about the sanctuary being too hot or too cold. During the service I did get cold. I got up and got a blanket. Problem solved!

Of course, it wasn't the same as being there. I couldn't share my erudite observations with a neighbor (though I thought about a twitter feed for next year). I didn't have anyone to hug and wish "shanah tovah" a happy new year. I experienced Kol Nidrei personally and with my spiritual leaders, but not with my community.

So did it replace the experience I would have had at synagogue? - definitely not! Was it a profoundly spiritual evening? - Absolutely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment